WHAT I DID:
Before Marianna was born I spent so much money on the GREENIST options out there, at least I thought. I only purchased organic or wooden toys along with organic/bamboo clothing, sheets, towels, socks, etc. I wanted everything she came in contact with to be non toxic and the best for her health.
WHAT I LEARNED:
Now that I am a stay at home mom I need to save money wherever we can. There are many Eco options that are easy on our wallet, such as second hand clothing, toys, and books. Clothing is one area I have cut back my spending on. I started to ease up on the fact that the clothing and toys were not organic because they were washed numerous times so if there were pesticides still in the items it was very minimal. The one thing I still do not give Marianna are plastic toys. That one I am still anal about.
Hand me downs are the greatest! Take them from whoever offers. Whatever you will not use take to a consignment shop. Then you can put the money you make from it towards new (well new to you) clothes, toys, or books at that store! If you have not received hand me downs there are many places to go.
WHERE I GO:
The Nesting House- West Mt. Airy
Worn Yesterday- Manayunk
Kid to Kid- all over the country
Craigslist
Consignment Sales such as Cozy Tots
GREENIST OPTION:
- You are not causing production of new items therefor SAVES on pesticides, energy, packaging, and materials. In all, lower carbon footprint.
- Second hand clothing does not have all the harsh chemicals like new non Eco clothing because most have been washed multiple times.
No comments:
Post a Comment