Saturday, February 26, 2011

Cloth Diapers

WHAT I DID- 
I researched many of the cloth diapering systems.  Me being Ms. Eco Woman, now Eco Mama, wanted the greenist option out there.  I purchased the Bummis Bamboozles in size 1 and 2 (12 of each.)  I went with these because they are bamboo.  It is suppose to be more absorbent than cotton.  So that crossed organic cotton off of my list.  I did not want polyester so I went with a wool outside cover which needs to be sprayed with Lanolin to keep it more water resistant.  


WHAT I LEARNED-
Marianna was born and I planned on starting the cloth diapers around a month old.  They were huge on her.  I tried again at 2 and 3 months, still huge.  Not only did they not really fit, but I would have to put pants on that were a size up because it made her butt so big, a bubble butt.  This was not the diapering system I imagined. 


So, I ended up buying Perfect Fit FuzziBunz in small from Zulily.  I love them!   They are not bulky for reusable.  Marianna had been wetting through her onsie, pjs, sheets and mattress pad with the disposables- Seventh Generation and Nature Babycare.  Yes, we feed a lot at night!  Once I started using the FuzziBunz I doubled up before she went to bed and she is fine for 12-13 hours in it!   


I got a great deal on them, that is why I went with the perfect fit.  I figured I would see if she could get a year out of them.  She is petite.  Otherwise I would recommend the one size diaper.


GREENIST OPTION-
The FuzziBunz Hemp One Size Diaper.  The insert is made of 55% natural hemp and 45% certified organic cotton and is 100% biodegradable! Hemp requires no pesticides to farm. It also has natural anti-microbial properties, which may aid in deterring mold, bacteria and fungus. Going with the One Size will save you money in the long run because you do not need to buy 12 diapers in 2 different sizes.  These were not out when I bought mine.  If they were I would have snatched them up.  I still have to exchange the Bummis Bamboozles though, so I know what I am getting instead!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment